As an executive using Workplace, you have the power to amplify your company's culture, promote transparency and ensure that remote workers feel better connected to headquarters. This guide outlines best practices for executives working in Workplace to engage and empower their organisation.Connect to your whole org with Live
1. Connect to your whole org with Live
Live video allows you to connect to all members of your organisation, no matter where they're located. Use Live to hold town halls or Q&As, and invite people to participate with polls and comments.
Follow these steps to hold a live Q&A:
- Create an event in the Company FYI group to announce the date and time of the Q&A.
- Create a poll in the Company FYI group asking people for feedback on what topics they'd like you to cover.
- Promote your Q&A through your corporate channels, such as email, to make sure that no one misses out.
- To go live, click into the post composer and go to More > Live video.
- Select the equipment that you're using to go live.
- Add a description for the video.
- Start the live video by selecting Go Live.
- We recommend that you go live for at least ten minutes so your employees have time to tune in
Collaborate with execs in a group
2. Collaborate with your executive team in an executive group
You and your executive team are probably pretty busy, and your time to meet and have discussions is limited. Use a secret Executives group to stay connected and collaborating, even when you can't meet in person.
The Executives group is kept secret, so your posts are private and secure. People who aren't members of the group won't be able to find it through search and won't be able to see members or posts.Communicate with direct reports in one-to-one groups
3. Communicate with your direct reports in one-to-one groups
Replace email communications with secret one-to-one groups with each of your direct reports. Secret one-to-one groups are great for assigning tasks, giving feedback and discussing performance evaluations. Use them to keep up to date with what everyone is working on by asking your direct reports to post their weekly priorities in the group.Check News Feed regularly
4. Check your News Feed regularly
Check your News Feed regularly to keep a pulse on your organisation. Make sure to follow people that you work with regularly, such as the rest of the executive team and your direct reports. Workplace will prioritise their posts and comments in your News Feed.Comment on and react to posts
5. Comment on and react to posts
Comment on and react to posts to let people in your organisation know that you're listening and you're engaged. The great thing about Workplace is that you can do all of this conveniently from your phone.
Use Workplace to:
- Give feedback.
- Offer encouragement.
- Recognise colleagues for a job well done
- Ask questions.
Make sure that your posts are promoted in the News Feed
6. Make sure that your posts are promoted in the News Feed
Make sure that a Workplace admin has promoted your posts in the News Feed. This ensures that everyone in your organisation sees your posts at the top of their News Feed.
Follow these instructions to promote posts:
- Go to the People section of the Admin Panel.
- Scroll down to find the name of the person whose posts you'd like to promote, or use the search bar.
- Select the "…" and choose "Promote posts in News Feed".
7. Post regularly
It only takes ten minutes a day of being active on Workplace to have significant impact in the community. While it's important to have regular posts, it's not a numbers game. Develop a pattern that works for you and stick to it as much as you can.
Try building a content calendar with your team. It's helpful to start off with special dates from your company calendar.
Once you have that, you can also schedule posts in advance on specific topics. A weekly leadership message, for example.Get answers fast with chat
8. Get answers fast with chat
Use Workplace chat for communication that would otherwise clutter your group page. Chats are best in situations when you need an answer fast, or when you're just communicating back and forth with your colleagues. Information can get buried in a chat after a few days, so make sure that you post important content directly to your group page.
More helpful resources
- Executive visibility & accessibility - learn best practices for executive communications on Workplace.
- Work faster with Workplace Chat - learn how Workplace chat can help you stay connected and get more done.
- People manager guide – find out how you can use Workplace to manage your team and your relationships with direct reports.
- Workplace Academy – access live interactive training, self-paced courses, learning videos and more in the new Workplace Academy!
- Help Centre – find answers to frequently asked questions and step-by-step instructions on using Workplace features.